Ok, I understand
Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. For more information, please see our privacy policy.
Skip to main content

Home

See Club Covid Competitions Triples page for latest game......

The day before on Bank Holiday Monday we had competed in the Australian pairs again in lovely weather. I know Jack has beaten me to it with the results but I am in keeping with tradition telling you all anyway. Dave Edwards and Jenny Johnson were on fire I have to tell you, both bowling so well beating in the final Jennie and Eddie Owen. For the first time this season we had a lunch in the club house, all socially distanced of course, and it was nice to have a near normal social occasion.

At the conclusion of the game organiser and Club President Richard Lambert presented the trophies and as is the prerogative of the President made another presentation usually done at the presentation dinner which has been cancelled. He awarded the Britten trophy. which is the award for the member that has in the opinion of the President of the year, done more than anyone to help the club, to Jack - the provider of flags galore, entertainment with his competition, greenwork, all sorts. Much appreciation from us all.

Our thanks to Jeannie and Gordon and Jack who got the green in such good condition. 

2nd September Charlie Underwood, Chairman and Nina Rawlings,Secretary of the Stamford League presented Richard and myself with a plaque to celebrate our 75th year. . 

I know we have been disappointed not to fulfill all the promised 2020 engagements but you must admit we have made the best of it and had some fun. 

The Committee will be meeting shortly to discuss plans for the AGM and the way forward in the winter months so watch this space.

---------------------------------------

Covid 19 - .Market Overton Bowls Club continue to entertain their bowlers with fun and competition. 'Costa Del  Marko'  as it was known on Saturday 8th August in high temperatures saw a turnout of 16 competitors in the Drawn 4 wood mixed pairs, run on a knockout basis.   We just needed a small beach  to complete the picture as the bowlers sat ringside enjoying ice creams and drinks as the games progressed.  

Yet another opportunity to enjoy a beautiful setting and good company in these difficult times and still social distancing.

Winners were Eddie Owen and Chris Fleckney, Runners up Liz Dyer and Jo Abbott. 

The mixed singles two weekends ago was won by Jonny Abbott with Mick Boddington runner up.

The Club members are certainly making the best of the difficult circumstances and enjoying the facilities at this old bowling club celebrating its 75 years history.

Thanks to even more relaxation of the lockdown we now have in place a Monday evening 'League' among ourselves , 'Chummy nights' have returned on Thursdays, and a series of competitions over the coming weeks. Care has been taken to abide by the Government advice all the way especially social distancing and hygiene with strict control of cleaning the equipment..

None of this can make up for the dreadful disappointment in our 75th celebration year requiring cancellation of  our engagements with bowlers from all over the country but there is always 2021. Such is the spirit at the club that we are thankful to have such a good group of members who have supported 'Marko' all the way through and are now 'making the best of it'.

See photos in the gallery. 

We are delighted to hear that Bowls England, Bowls Leicestershire and Friends are coming next year.

The green is looking great and is as always a pleasure to bowl on.

Anybody looking for a new hobby would do well consider bowling with us

Fun - Fitness and Friendship! 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Market Overton Bowls Club  was founded 1945 and situated in a delightful village in Rutland,  England's smallest county.

We have been on this site since 1973 and are proud of our green with 5/6 rinks. Also our Club house which consists of a  a large main hall, well fitted kitchen,  lounge bar, large car park, and unisex disabled facilities. 

Our promise to you? .Fun, Friendship and Fitness whether  School age or Pensioner! 

New members are always welcome.

We are members of the https://sites.google.com/site/stamfordoutdoorbowlsleague/home [see Fixtures page].

MARKO  are happy to host School and other group visits - let us bring 'Street Bowls' to your school or college. Played on any surface and fun for wheelchair users too. No charge for a taster session.

Special Rates for newcomers and beginners and Social Membership for those not wishing to play but who may enjoy the club house and bar. 

Indoor mat for fun and practice in the winter [November to April] - Monday afternoons - enjoy a cuppa and a roll up

Our club is an important part of the community and is freely available for functions [a donation to club funds always acceptable].

Currently hosting Exercise classes, Quizzes, in the winter months, Carpet bowls, Bingo, and various entertainment evenings  [see Events page] often raising funds for charities close to our hearts.

Information regarding booking or forthcoming events  is just a telephone/email  away [01572 812233]

Welcome to Market Overton Bowls Club Welcome to Market Overton Bowls Club
Social distancing Marko July 19th 2020 Social distancing Marko July 19th 2020
Melton Triples presentation Melton Triples presentation